Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Banana Nut Muffins


So, I have a new obsession….greek yogurt! It’s so yummy, creamy, and good for you – I love it! And since I am wildly experimental, I’ve been using it in some baking projects. I haven’t been able to use it a whole lot yet (I’m not very good at substituting things and having it work out), but there are a few things I have successfully used it in, this being one of them.

This isn't anything too original. I'm sure just about everyone has a banana bread recipe that they love. I'm still working on finding mine, but so far, this one is great. The original recipe calls for ½ cup of butter, and I really didn’t want to have to use it, so I just switched it out for greek yogurt instead, and added 1 tbsp of oil - it gives it just enough fat and moisture to be moist and dense, but they are still low-fat enough to snack on, or for a healthy breakfast.
Banana Nut Muffins

1 cup pecans or walnuts
1 ¾ cups flour (all white, or half/half with wheat)
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
*3 large, over-ripe bananas, mashed well
2 large eggs
2/3 cup full-fat yogurt (I like to use greek)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp canola oil
couple tbsp of milk

*Whenever I have some bananas that go brown before I get a chance to eat them, I will put them in a plastic bag and stick them in the freezer (thanks for showing me that, Mom!). I have about 7 or 8 of them in there right now, so I can make banana things anytime I want. Seems a little gross, but works just great =) Just thaw them out beforehand.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (see my new baking sheets from Christmas? Thanks to the in-laws ! =). Spread out nuts and lightly toast for about 8 minutes, or until you start to smell them. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn. Once done, take them out, let them cool, and then chop coarsely. 
Combine dry ingredients and nuts in a large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in small bowl. Gently fold the wet into the dry, until just combined. Add some milk, a tbsp at a time, until the batter is just a little more moist. You don't want it to be runny, but not thick, either.
Divide between greased or lined muffin tins. I used my new mini-muffin tin (thanks to one of my good friends for that one =), and a few on the bigger tin.
Bake for 9-15 minutes (9 for mini's, 15 for large). Do NOT over-bake, or they will dry out quickly. Test the bigger ones periodically to make sure that you don't cook them too long - 15 minutes may be too long, depending on how full you fill the tin. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from tins and finish cooling on a wire rack. Store properly to prevent them from drying out.
These muffins are SO great! Especially if you are in hurry in the morning, you could just pop it in a plastic bag and go. Cut it in half, spread on a little peanut butter on it for some more protein, grab an apple, and go! And the fat content is so low in these - they are so yummy and healthy, especially if you use wheat flour in place of some white.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jennie!

    As far as these muffins go, I'm sure they'd taste fantastic (Though I'm sure they already do!) with a couple tablespoons of blackstrap molasses added to the batter. If you only use one or two tablespoons, it adds a nice flavor without being overpowering. Start with one if you're unsure.

    As you know I'm a big food nerd that was vegetarian for six years with brief stints in veganism (which went out the window since I came to France...the meat is great here!).

    Anyhow, you'd probably be interested in looking into vegan baking, even if you're not a vegan. There are a lot of different substitutes you can use to cut fat in baking and make it healthier, such as using ground flax seeds (omega 3!), bananas, applesauce, and silken tofu (the vacuum packed kind, I 100% promise you that it is NOT disgusting, and you will NOT taste it, and it works wonderfully...plus a little soy every now and then is good for the heart, so long as you don't eat too much of it).

    Yogurt is a great substitute for egg and oil as well. Depending on what you're baking, you'll want to use different things. For example, since flax seeds are nutty and just slightly grainy, they're best used in choco-chip cookies, whole-wheat pancakes, etc. They don't make your products grainy at all, but you certainly wouldn't want to use them while baking a white cake.
    There are loads of sites on the internet that can help you with that sort of stuff if you're interested.

    This is a website that has a lot of good ideas on it.
    www.theppk.com
    It also has a great baked onion ring recipe that's both healthy and tasty...it's under appetizers.

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire! I actually started looking into veganism a few months ago. I don't think I could ever do it, but it's a great way to incorporate more healthy eating into our normal routine. Still working on it, but I've found some good tips and ideas. Keep 'em coming!

    I think I'd like to try the tofu. My mom kinda turned me off to that when I was young =) but I've heard a lot about silken tofu. And I've been wondering about flax seed for a while, too. I'll have to finally bite the bullet and look into those.

    And I didn't know that you were vegetarian at all...why did you decide to go that route?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I decided to go vegetarian right after I started college (I guess we haven't kept very close contact!). I had to pay for my own food, and I just kind of inadvertently stopped buying meat. After that, I decided to go vegetarian. I shouldn't really be using the term vegetarian, because I did eat fish on and off during those six years...I'd say about half of the time. I was a vegan for close to four months as well, but decided I really wanted some cheese, so that ended that.

    My decision was because I really do not like the meat industry in the United States, as well as for health reasons. I'm not going to get into it on your blog (because it would go on forever and I'm don't want to preach on your blog), but if you'd like me to fully explain it, facebook me.

    Either way, once I started living on my own I really got into cooking and baking, and now it's a huge hobby of mine that I really enjoy. I'm a foodie, or food nerd, or whatever you call it. I read cookbooks for fun and read up on nutrition and such a lot, because I find it all very interesting. And I adore vegetables. Looking into vegan/vegetarian blogs is a great way to find veggie recipes since the diets themselves are far more plant-based.

    Anyhow.
    Flax seeds are really great for your health. They're high in fat (like most seeds) but it's really good fat filled with omega fatty acids.

    Thing is, they go rancid really easily, so they're best kept in the freezer. They can only really be digested and give health benefits once they're ground. You have two options. You can either buy them whole (color is irrelevant - there are golden,red, etc) and grind them when you need them in a coffee grinder, or just buy a bag of ground flax-seed meal and keep it in your freezer. I myself prefer to grind them when I need them, but either way is just fine.

    As far as the silken tofu goes - the stuff is literally tasteless and will soak up the flavor of whatever you're baking it with. Silken tofu isn't good on it's own, and it's not suited for stir fries because it's too delicate. It's best pureed and used as an egg substitute, or in a dessert.

    Tofu in general has a really bad reputation, because the vast majority of people really don't know how cook it. They'll buy it once, try cooking it, fail, and think it's disgusting. It's easy to cook. If you want to know any info about cooking firm tofu (the kind packed in water), let me know.

    Here are some more vegan/vegetarian blogs that I really like -

    veganyumyum.com - She's stopped posting recipes, but there are years worth of vegan recipes on there...I've made a few, and they could all be easily adapted with meat/dairy ingredients.

    vegandad.blogspot.com - This is a guy in canada who has four kids and cooks a lot. There are tons of vegan recipes on here...hundreds.

    Some of the ingredients on the blogs may be a bit esoteric, but I've gotten lots of ideas and recipes from them nonetheless.

    One last thing...(this has gotten LONG, I'm so sorry!)
    If you're looking for some good veggie cookbooks, The Moosewood Collective is absolutely amazing...they have a low-fat cookbook that I have, and every recipe I've tried is great.
    -Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny - the Vegan Dad blog was one of my favorites when I first started looking into it. I've made a couple of his and they were awesome. Well, thanks for the advice! I have so much time on my hand right now, and I'm baking so much, that this kind of stuff will really come in handy. I'll let you know if I have questions (probably will...) Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No prob!
    I love having people to talk recipes/food with.

    ReplyDelete