Friday, January 28, 2011

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies


These could very well be the best cookies I’ve ever made. I’ve made them only a few times before, because they are sooooo extremely addicting and awful for you. I try to save them for the times that I need to deliver treats to people, because that way I don’t feel as guilty making them. If I give most of them away, and only eat a few of them in the process, it makes it just the slightest bit easier to justify these kinds of calories.

The original recipe is best. However, I recently modified it a bit and had great success with it (in my opinion). I’ll include both, with the necessary adjustments, and you can decide on how much fat you feel like consuming today.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups white flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine butter and sugars in a bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, minus the chips. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in three installments, mixing just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Chill in the fridge until firm enough to roll between your hands.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll desired amounts into balls and place on sheets, six to eight on a sheet, depending on the size of your baking sheets. Flatten slightly.

Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool for a bit before transferring them to cooling racks. They won’t look completely done when they come out the oven, but they firm up perfectly as they cool. Makes about 36 cookies (in my experience). These store great in the cookie jar.

Okay, so that’s the regular recipe. But since I have a really hard time wrapping my head around one entire cup of butter in one batch of cookies, I cut it back to ½ cup and did some substitutions for the rest of the fat.

Instead of the other ½ cup of butter, I mixed together ¼ cup applesauce and ¼ cup greek yogurt. I warmed the mixture slightly in the microwave before combining it with the melted butter, then beat it together with the sugars, and combined the rest of the ingredients.

This mixture still needs to chill in the fridge, but it won’t ever really roll between your hands. Just a little too sticky…
But the good news is that although the globs of batter on the sheets will look at little like poop, they still bake up beautifully =)
Bake 11-12 minutes at MOST, but maybe test a few to make sure you have the baking times right. 12 minutes may be a little too long. Let them cool completely before storing. Should also make about 36 cookies.

Now what is so awesome about greek yogurt in cookies is that it keeps them moist, chewy, and fudgy for a loooong time. So don’t store these in the cookie jar. They will get a little too moist and stick to each other, and then tear when you try to pull them apart. Not that that’s a problem, but if you want to share them with others, store them in a tupperware in between layers of parchment paper, not overlapping them. They’ll be perfect.

3 comments:

  1. YUM!! Oh, I am such a cookie junkie - I can't wait to make these! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made your tortilla soup recipe the other day and it was a huge hit! Everyone loved it! Yay! Thank you! I can't wait to make these cookies now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie these are DELICIOUS!!!! I'm so glad I got to experience them. Thank you for stopping by to visit. I'm totally trying these out soon :)

    ReplyDelete