Friday, October 22, 2010

Salsa Chicken

There are a lot of versions of this online. I want to try to cite my sources, but when there are ten different ones that are exactly alike, I think I’ll be just fine.

This is not a glamorous or very exciting recipe, but it’s easy, yummy, and healthy. Plus, the kiddo likes it, too, which means it’s a keeper.

Salsa Chicken

cooking spray
2 chicken breasts
1 tbsp taco seasoning.
salsa
cheese
sour cream (optional)

First of all, the taco seasoning. Yes, it’s easier to buy it, but when I have everything I need in my cupboard, what’s the point? These are the spices that I use in place of taco seasoning. The next time I go to Winco, I’m going to get another spice container, make a bunch of this, and just have it labeled and on hand in my cupboard. (By the way, spices and herbs at winco are in bulk and they are DIRT CHEAP)
Preheat your oven to 375. Spray your pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on both sides of the chicken and place in the pan.
Don't judge the pan - it's been well-used =) Spoon over them as much salsa as you want. We like a lot of it. The chicken stays really moist this way.
 Bake for 25-35 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the tops and put back in to melt. We like to serve this with sour cream, corn, and black beans and rice:
LOVE this stuff. It’s too pricey here in town, but at Winco it’s not too bad, and since this meal is pretty cheap, I feel okay getting it. Plus, it usually makes enough that I can make this whole meal again in a week, as “leftovers.”
I forgot to add the cheese last night, but it was good just the same. Doesn't look the greatest, but it is really really yummy. I promise.

4 comments:

  1. Do you use even amounts of the spices for taco seasoning - like a tsp of each? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually about equal of all. Maybe more of the cumin and chili powder and a little less of the onion and garlic. Depends on your preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie this sounds so yummy and looks like I could even do it with my "time budget." You're inspiring me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe of yours was a hit at my house! Thanks Jennie!

    ReplyDelete