Saturday, November 6, 2010

Applesauce Pancakes

I love Saturdays! It’s the only day of the week that my hubby gets to be with us all day long (usually). And in the autumn, they are even better. One of my favorite things is making pancakes, waffles, or french toast on Saturday mornings, with my family around the table and the sunshine streaming in the window. And this recipe made this morning one of the best.

My favorite pancake recipe isn’t the best for you, so I did some quick research before I started, and I found this other recipe that uses any dry pancake mix, and the key ingredient of applesauce! I combined the dry ingredients from my original recipe, and the wet ingredients from the applesauce one, and voila! Perfect pancakes for a perfect Saturday morning.
Applesauce Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
3 ½ tsp baking powder (yes, it really uses that much)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. I usually only use ½ cup of whole-wheat, because with the original recipe, the whole-wheat makes the pancakes fall apart a bit once you soak them in syrup. But this recipe created wonderful pancakes that held together nicely, even with the whole wheat, so I think next time I might try using a little more wheat and little less white.

2 eggs
1 cup applesauce (I used homemade, but you could use any)
1 tsp lemon juice
½-⅔ cup skim milk

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine just until fully incorporated. I put in ½ cup of milk at first, but it was a little thick, so I just added more bit by bit, until it was the consistency I wanted.
Cook on a griddle over medium heat, using cooking spray (please ignore the dirty stove). I used a ¼ cup measure to ladle out the batter. Makes about 8

You don’t have to, but we used some homemade syrup that we had leftover in the fridge. With just a tad of butter and a cup of milk - perfect!
My favorite thing to see on a Saturday morning =)

No comments:

Post a Comment