Sunday, November 21, 2010

Homemade Applesauce

So, I was asked to show how I made my homemade applesauce, from when we made Applesauce Pancakes, and here it is! There are a lot of people that make their own applesauce. It’s sooooo easy, and while it may not be cheaper than buying it, it’s not much more expensive, and I like it a whole lot better.

I’ve taken a few different applesauce recipes and combined and tweaked them. The first couple of times I made this, it was good, but we didn’t really care for the flavors as much. This one is right on, in our opinion.
Homemade Applesauce

10 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
6 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup sugar (½ white and ½ brown)
1 tbsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
3 cinnamon sticks
½ tsp nutmeg
1 cup apple juice
½ water

Combine all ingredients in a pot. Stir to combine the sugar thoroughly. It seems like a lot of liquid, but it’s okay. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Keep the pot covered.
Simmer for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once done, remove from the heat and uncover.
Let it cool for a few minutes. Using a potato masher, carefully mash the apples. I usually mash it for a bit, let it sit for a bit, mash again, let it sit, mash, etc. That way I can get as smooth a consistency as possible. Keep in mind that it won’t be quite the same consistency as store-bought applesauce.
Be sure to taste it for the seasonings. You can add just a little bit more cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, sugar, etc., according to your tastes.
This is perfect for eating, baking, cooking, anything! Next summer, I really want to try making combination applesauces, like strawberry applesauce, blueberry applesauce, peach applesauce, etc. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment