Friday, November 5, 2010

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

I didn’t fall off the face of the earth! We’ve just had a lot of pretty basic meals lately, things that just about everyone else has made and already knows. I planned on blogging some muffins I made last week, but they didn’t really work out. However….

I made some muffins on Wednesday that were awesome! I found a basic chocolate chip muffins recipe here that I thought looked yummy, but it just seemed too plain for me. I also have a recipe for some double chocolate chip cookies that may be the best cookies I’ve ever made. So, I took a chance and tried to combine the two. To my surprise (my baking experiments don’t usually work, ie. last week…), they were wonderful! Probably not the most healthy, but really really really yummy.
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
⅓ cup butter, melted
1 cup whole milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Add wet ingredients and combine just until fully incorporated.
½ cup milk chocolate chips
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup white chocolate chips

I like to place the all chocolate chips on cutting board and chop with big knife. I leave the tip on the board as much as possible and rock the knife back and forth. I wouldn’t do this for cookies, but in muffins it creates a little more chocolatey muffin, without huge chunks, since the small pieces and shavings bake into the batter a little more evenly.
I used up the ends of a few bags of leftover chocolate chips, that’s why I have all three of these, but you could easily just pick one. But I do recommend having at least some white chocolate chips in there….
Divide batter evenly in a greased muffin pan (or use muffin liners). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These are really great straight out of the oven, and they were still really moist the next day. I would recommend putting them into a big container, though. I just kept them on the counter with a towel over them, and they had dried out a bit.
I really want to get a mini muffin pan for muffins or cupcakes like this. I think it might be a good way to trick myself into not eating five of these a day.

1 comment:

  1. These look super yummy! I can't wait to try them.... you're going to share your double chocolate chip cookie recipe too, right? :)

    ReplyDelete