Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Honey-Lime Enchiladas

I’m not a huge enchilada fan. At least I wasn’t until I made these. I LOVE these, and so does my hubby. The kiddo isn’t a huge fan, and I think that’s because they use green chili enchilada sauce, instead of red (it’s a little spicier, but I like it SO much more than red), and I still don’t know how to calm it down a bit. Any ideas?

These aren’t that difficult to make, and really, really yummy. You can also space out the prep a little bit, so it goes a little more smoothly when you actually assemble them. I cook and shred the chicken the day before, if I can, and then start the marinade the following morning.
Honey-Lime Enchiladas

1 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded (about 1 ½ large chicken breasts)
⅔ cup lime juice
⅔ cup honey
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin (optional)
bit of salt
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups monterey jack/colby cheese blend, divided
1 can green chili enchilada sauce (19 oz)
½ cup half and half
flour tortillas - this batch used about 14 tortillas (not the huge ones)

Place cooked, shredded chicken in a large, resealable plastic bag. Combine the rest of ingredients (through salt) thoroughly in a bowl, until honey is completely dissolved.
Pour over chicken, squeeze out excess air, and let marinate for at least a half hour. I like to do this in the morning and let it marinate all day. The chicken gets nice and moist and soaks up a lot of the flavor. 

When ready to start the enchiladas, drain the marinade from the chicken into a bowl. You have a to be a little creative to get it out of the bag without the chicken falling out. Try to get most of the marinade out, but it’s okay to leave some of it with the chicken (I usually add some back to it, anyways). Place the chicken in a large bowl.
Add the black beans, corn, and cheese to the chicken and mix thoroughly. If desired, add a couple spoonfuls each of the leftover marinade and the enchilada sauce.
Grease two casserole pans. Add ½ cup or so of enchilada sauce to the bottom of each pan and spread around evenly. Warm up the tortillas. Add a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture to each tortilla and wrap up like a burrito. Place seamside down in the pans.
Combine the leftover marinade with the rest of the enchilada sauce and the half and half. Spoon evenly over the pans, trying to coat each enchilada completely. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.
Place in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Let sit for five minutes before eating, and then ENJOY! The two pans together make about three meals for us.
The original recipe didn’t even call for any vegetables, just chicken and cheese. Any ideas for what else could be added to the filling?

4 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE mexican fan and these look DELICIOUS! I haven't put a ton of thought into the extra veggies, but the first few that popped into my head are corn, tomatoes and avocados. Hmm.. okay peppers (green or red- maybe sauteed with onions)... Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice would be really good in them too. My dad's family is from New Mexico, so green chili is a common staple in their diet. They can definitely be hot depending on the year. We have found that we like the "Hatch" brand of chilis and canned chili sauce the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. quick question about these. Do they taste particularly sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think they are that sweet. They definitely have a sweetness to them, but more of a spicy-sweet, in my opinion. If you don't want as much sweet (I know some people don't like it as much), just use less honey, and maybe more of the enchilada sauce on top. Experiment until you get the ratio you like. (We also do more honey and less enchilada sauce so that Noah will eat them - he doesn't do well with spicy)

    ReplyDelete